POLIS is a dual-purposed governance token:
- Within the metaverse, POLIS provides the holder with strategic benefits of political domination. Controlling a region of space opens up mechanics of taxation of other players, and the ability to define rules, laws, fines and fees within the micro-metropolis.
- Externally, POLIS provides holders with true governance rights over long-term development decision making. Opening up the potential for pure decentralization of game development in the years to follow.
The governance token, POLIS, will also play a pivotal role in the decentralized corporations. These micro-metropolises could opt to be largely guided by the voting abilities of the underlying players. The extent to which a player organization wants to utilize that functionality in their decision making is subjective, but the tools are present.
POLIS provides a 33% discount on Land and Crew when purchased from the developers.
- "Star Atlas: White Paper" (PDF). Star Atlas. "Archived" from the original on May 6, 2021. Retrieved September 12, 2021.
- Debar, Suhail (Aug 1, 2021). "Star Atlas - Townhall #11". www.youtube.com. Retrieved August 6, 2021 – via Youtube.
- Santiacc (June 10, 2021). "ATLAS will server as the native in-game currency [..]. Discord. Retrieved August 10, 2021 – via Discord.